History

History

Our Lady of Guadalupe Church was built as a mission to St. Teresa’s Church for the Mexican people who lived in the Hutchinson area in 1927. The culture, tradition and heritage that was a part of their life in Mexico was able to be continued in the new church.

As the parish outgrew the original site, the south part of Hutchinson became more industrialized and less attractive as a parish. In the early 1960’s it was decided that a new church in a different location was needed. With the blessing of Bishop Mark Carroll, Fr. Francis Cox and a steering committee from OLG selected the present site in South Hutchinson for the new parish.

The parish hall and church were built and dedicated on March 28, 1965. This increased the cultural diversity of the parish as well, a blessing that is still enjoyed by the parish today. Improvements to the church and grounds have been many since it was built:

  • Classrooms added to parish hall
  • Ball diamonds east of hall
  • Church bell tower
  • Perpetual Adoration of the Holy Eucharist
  • Merging of St. Agnes parish in Castleton
  • Renovation of church with addition of stained glass windows depicting Jesus, Saints, miracles and hard working people who make up the United States.
  • Our Lady of Guadalupe outdoor shrine, an outstanding ceramic on concrete base with set of pictures depicting the miracle at Tepeyac Hill. This is probably one of the largest and most beautiful shrines of Our Lady of Guadalupe
  • Murals inside top area of church depicting four scenes of Mary’s visits with Juan Diego at Tepeyac Hill
  • Full wall picture of the Divine Mercy in adoration chapel with the monstrance mounted in the center.

 

Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Church

612 S. Maple
South Hutchinson, KS
620.662.6443
office@olghutch.com  

Site by Solutio

RocketTheme Joomla Templates